Friday, May 28, 2010

The Serangoon Walkabout...

Note: the above maps are not to scale

As a distinctive CC building boasting vibrant colours with soothing water features, The Serangoon (1) is a merger of the former Serangoon Gardens CC at Serangoon Garden Way and Serangoon North CC at Serangoon North Avenue 1. The Serangoon was officially opened by the Senior Minister, Mr. Goh Chok Tong on 19 March 2006. The Serangoon CC is beside Ang Mo Kio Ave 3.

Masjid Al Istiqamah (2) is the 2nd mosque to be built under Phase 3 of the Mosque Building Fund Project headed by MUIS. The the name “Al-Istiqamah” (The Constant) was selected after consulting a few local Islamic scholars. At one glance, the mosque blends the architectural flavours of buildings in the Middle East, Nusantra and Mauritius. Completed in May 1999, the mosque can accommodate up to 3300 people at any one time.


^The Brethren movement (Christianity) arrived in Singapore with Philip Robinson (founder of Robinson and Company in 1858). Robison and his wife Elisa was a devout couple. In 1864, they and a few like-minded Christians rented a room at Bencoolen Street, intending that in these humble premises (called the “Mission Room”), believers could meet for worship and the gospel could be preached. This was the beginning of the Brethren movement in Singapore. Today, it grew and since 1988, one assembly is now at Yio Chu Kang Chapel (3).

^The Japanese Cemetery Park (4) is located off Yio Chu Kang Road, along Chuan Hoe Avenue, where the ashes of 10,000 Japanese who died here in World War II are buried alongside the ashes of more than 1,000 pre-war Japanese settlers here. Founded in 1891, it served primarily as a Japanese burial ground. No one has been buried here since 1973 as this cemetery was one of the 42 cemeteries where burials were prohibited by the government. It was converted into a memorial park in 1986.

Out of the Japanese Cemetery, turn left and continue walking along Chuan Hoe Avenue. As you walked through this private estate, enjoy the various architecture buildings. At the end of the road, turn right and walk along Parry Road. Continue along Sandilands Road and at the end of the road turn left into Glasgow Road. Turn right into Flower Road.

Continue on Flower Road until you come to the main road Upper Serangoon Road. DO NOT TURN LEFT, just want to let you know that on the left is Kovan MRT. Also previously there was a Hougang South Bus Interchange (Chinese: 后港南巴士转换站) located in Hougang Street 21, which ceased operations (by SBS Transit) mid February 2004. Today is known as Kovan Express Bus Terminal, buses that go to Malacca, Kuala Lumpur, Genting, Penang, Hatyai.
Turn Right on Upper Serangoon Road and we reached St. Paul’s Church (5) situated at the 6th milestone of the Upper Serangoon Road Singapore 19. Built in 1936 and serves as a centre of worship for parishioners living in and around the district of Upper Serangoon. In 1936, the late Mr. George Rae Oehlers built St. Paul’s Church, in memory of his son Harry on land owned by St. Andrew’s Church Mission. During the era of the Japanese Occupation i.e. from 1942 to 1945, St. Paul’s was fortunate in having uninterrupted church services. In 1960, extension to the church was completed from generous contributions from the congregation and the members of the Oehlers’ family.

Continue along Upper Serangoon Road and cross over to the opposite side of the road at the traffic light. Look for 790, Upper Serangoon Road. This is our last stop.

Singapore Crocodile Farm (6) was the first of its kind when it opened shortly after World War II, in 1945. They started with only ten crocodiles. With careful breeding, the numbers grew rapidly. Within its premises he set up a factory, where the crocodile skin was processed, made into various products then sold at the gift shop as well as overseas.

In and around Serangoon...

No comments: