Thursday, May 28, 2009

bak chang festival or duanwu jie (端午节)

5 months of 2009 has slipped by. Today is the 5th day of the 5th month in the Lunar calendar. It has been a tradition for the Chinese to celebrate and enjoy the "Rice Dumpling Festival", also known as "Dragon Boat Festival".

The Chinese celebrate the Rice Dumpling Festival by making pyramid-shape dumplings with glutinous rice with savoury fillings wrapped in bamboo leaves. The traditional dumplings are boring and ordinary, somehow through the years, new creations are added on and of course, all these variations of rice dumplings promise to tantalise different taste buds.

Honestly, if I didn't notice these bak chang hanging at the stalls, I wouldn't have realise today is duanwu jie. I remember I haven't touch bak chang for years. I have gastric and have problem digesting glutinous rice. Besides, bak chang are high-caloried, as such, I do not mind skipping it.

No comments: